Weeks ago, I bought some nifty powder at the local Japanese market. According to the pictogram directions, I was to put it in the bottom of a mug, add some boiling water, and stir. Then I’d have the perfect green tea latte!
As a complete sucker for the iced ones from Starbucks, I was thrilled. But honestly? It was disgusting. I was so disappointed!
I’m thinking I have to go out and get my own matcha powder– or powdered green tea. I’m going to try this recipe next:
Green Tea Latte Recipe – Two
1/2 to 1 teaspoon green tea powder
2 ounces warm water
4 ounces warm milk
3 teaspoons sugar or honey
1/2 to 1 cup ice cubes
Mix the green tea powder with the 2 ounces of warm water, mixing well to dissolve. Transfer this mixture to a blender. Add remaining ingredients and blend until smooth.
Another thing I want to try is making green tea ice cream. I think it would be cute next to some pomegranate sorbet for a dessert around Christmas time!
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons green tea powder
- 5 eggs
- 1/3 cup sugar
1. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring the cream, milk and salt to a bare simmer. Whisk in the green tea powder until dissolved. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar.
2. Whisk 1 cup of the hot cream mixture into the egg mixture to temper the eggs, then slowly pour the eggs into the saucepan, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Continue to cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens to a custard (it will be thick enough to coat the back of the spoon).
3. Immediately remove the pan from the heat and strain the custard into a medium bowl set over a bowl of ice water. Stir the custard until it is cold.
4. Freeze the custard in an ice cream maker until frozen, then transfer to an airtight container and freeze until hardened.
But now I’m also wondering if green tea could be used as a marinade? It would have to be brewed super strong, and blended with some other flavors. Here’s my best guess:
Green Tea Marinade
- Strongly-brewed green tea
- Ginger powder
- Orange or lemon juice
- Citrus zest
I’d love to marinate tofu in that and then grill it right up! Add a bit of soy sauce after cooking, and I think it would really zing! (I think it would probably also be good on shrimp or a light-bodied fish.)
What are your creative uses for green tea?