I was surprised with a from-scratch dinner tonight when I got home!
David took some of the contents of our CSA box and made an absolutely delicious Rustic Zucchini Casserole. We’re thinking about writing a vegetarian cookbook– get kind of creative with vegetarian food.
This casserole was both light and refreshing and completely fulfilling. I imagine it would be delightful come fall, too, with some garlic toast.
- 2 large rond du nice squash (or green zucchini)
- 1 large summer squash
- 1 large purple onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 branches of fresh rosemary
- 2 cups cherry tomoatoes
- 2 vegetarian Italian sausages
- Olive oil
- Seasoning salt
- Kosher salt
- Black Pepper
- 6 ounces bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 300*F
- Chop onion and dice garlic. Sautee in 3 tablespoons of olive oil for five minutes, or until tender
- Chop vegetarian Italian sausage and add to pan. Cook until crisp
- Peel and dice all squashes, and halve tomatoes. Add to the sautee pan and cook until tender.
- Add a dash of seasoning salt and 1 tablespoon of black pepper. Add sprigs of fresh rosemary and salt to taste. Add bread crumbs.
- Transfer contents of sautee pan to a casserole dish. Bake for one hour. Serve piping hot and enjoy!