Happy birthday to my
SUPER HARD WORKING!
SUPER SISTER!my twin brother on the left, my sister on the right.
To celebrate/tantalize you, sister, I made you a chocolate mousse.
Do you remember reading this book as a kid?
People who aren’t my sister: I hope you know who Fred Gwynne is. You know him as this:
Anyway, my mom used to read his children’s book to us as kids. I always liked it– filled with puns and sly jokes. And it (helped) inspire a love of the whipped confection.
If you want to make your own chocolate mousse, it’s really easy! I nicked a recipe from Bon Appetit.
- 6 ounces bittersweet (not unsweetened) chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup chilled whipping cream
- Start by melting the chocolate in the water over low heat. Melt until shiny and smooth.
- Next, whip three egg whites on high speed, until soft peaks form. Slowly add the quarter cup of sugar until the whites are stiff, but not dry.
- Drizzle the cooled/lukewarm chocolate over the whipped eggs, and fold in gently.
- Dish the mousse into cups.
- Fridge for six hours, or until stiff.
- Before serving, whip 1/3 cup heavy cream into whipped cream. Top the mousse with the whipped cream, and enjoy!
Linked to Metamorphoses Monday.Pin It